Basic Housing Information


Not all facilities require a house corporation. In most cases, if a facility is owned & operated by the university we do not need to incorporate.  Alpha Delta Pi’s policy has three situations that dictate when a house corporation must be incorporated:

  • if the intention is to own property
  • if there is a need to sign a lease with a third party landlord, or
  • if there will be any employees

Once incorporated it is the responsibility of the house corporation to manage the property, that means the land & the facility, the employees & finances and the legal & tax ramifications for those.

Every district has a Housing Resource Director, the HRD, serving as an International Officer.  This volunteer is here to help you with any questions or challenges you might have.  If she does not know the answer, she can help find the answer or point you in the right direction.

The Housing Manual  holds most of the answers to your more basic questions.  The Housing Manual can be found on Pride Online. In the near future, the Housing Manual will become a section of the Alumnae Operations Book, which will also be available on Pride Online. All volunteers should have the latest copy of the Housing Manual or the housing section of the Alumnae Operations Book to refer to when questions arise.  It is also strongly advised that board members periodically refer back to the manual and compare it to how the house is operating.

The COB also has important information regarding chapter operations and housing.  Though house corporations do not get involved in chapter operations, it is a good idea to know what the chapter is being told about its obligations.  In the COB’s sections  on Finance and  on Housing, issues are addressed pertaining to house corporation and chapter operations and how they work together.  You can download these sections of the COB from Pride Online.

Alpha Delta Pi