By Deleigha Hodges, Pi – Iowa State University
Dr. King has always been someone who I look up to, as he was truly the epitome of a servant leader. He saw the problems African American communities were facing and became a voice for the people. He was a leader who stood for what he believed in and would not stop fighting for the basic human rights of all people. As members of Alpha Delta Pi, I think it is important for us to understand the impact Dr. King has left on the history of our nation as well as looking at what we can do to continue his work.
Here are a few of his quotes I think are just as relevant today, and when you take the time to deconstruct what Dr. King was saying, you’ll see they can aide you in living a just and positive life.
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a constant attitude.
There are of course so many more, as he was such an intelligent and eloquently spoken man, but these are a few that I believe we as Alpha Delta Pi women can apply to leading by example and Being The First in all aspects of our lives.
As you take the time to reflect or engage in service this week, I encourage you consider Dr. King’s “most persistent and urgent question,
‘What are you doing for others?’
I hope our motto, We Live For Each Other, continues to be at the forefront of your mind as you interact with sisters and your community. There are going to be times in our lives where situations may not go the way we planned or we see improvements that can be made around us. Remember, there is nothing stopping you from standing up and being the leader you want to be.
Want to See More?
- Adelphean Compass (4)
- All Star Alumnae (6)
- Alumnae News (46)
- awards (3)
- Chapter Tips (6)
- Collegiate News (51)
- Colony News (1)
- District Leadership Conference (10)
- Expansion (2)
- Fit (2)
- Foundation (89)
- Grand Convention (31)
- Grand Council (22)
- Guest Post (42)
- Health (5)
- Healthy Living (2)
- History (10)
- Jobs and Internships (15)
- Leadership Consultants (21)
- Leadership Seminar (14)
- Misc. (9)
- Panhellenic (1)
- Philanthropy (25)
- Recruitment (4)
- Scholarship (13)
- Sisterhood (68)
- Uncategorized (25)
- Who Runs the World? (10)